Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten Books I’d Recommend to people who haven’t tried the Classics
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – “Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ’em. But remember, it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.
2. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery – “There’s such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I’m such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be everso much more comfortable, but then it wouldn’t be half so interesting.”
3. The Diary of a Young Girl – Anne Frank – “Although I’m only fourteen, I know quite well what I want, I know who is right and who is wrong. I have my opinions, my own ideas and principles, and although it may sound pretty mad from an adolescent, I feel more of a person than a child, I feel quite independent of anyone.”
4. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell – “Sir,”she said,”you are no gentleman!”
An apt observation,”he answered airily.”And, you, Miss, are no lady.”
5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – “Reader, I married him.”
6. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo – “”Dost thou understand? I love thee!” he cried again.”What love!” said the unhappy girl with a shudder.He resumed,–“The love of a damned soul.”
7. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson – “Fifteen men on the Dead Man’s Chest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!”
8. The Scarlett Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne – “Hold thy peace, dear little Pearl!” whispered her mother. “We must not always talk in the market-place of what happens to us in the forest.”
9. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen – “A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.”
10. The Time Machine – H. G. Wells – “Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”
Which books would you recommend to Classic newbies? And which are your favourite lines from them? Let me know in the comment section below!